Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Thanksgiving Came Early!


One of my most favorite meals is Thanksgiving dinner.  I absolutely adore comfort food and all the warm memories that come with it.  I grew up eating mashed potatoes with gravy, green bean casserole with french fried onions, roast turkey, fruit salad with cool whip and flaky dinner rolls.  Top it off with pumpkin and/or apple pie and you've got a typical Thanksgiving meal for my family.  Now it's my turn to make Thanksgiving dinner and we've had to make a lot changes to the menu due to my daughter's intolerance for gluten and because my husband and I eat a mostly grain-free diet.  At first it was hard for me to let go of all the tried and true recipes I so lovingly clung to.  I nearly broke down in tears at my first attempt to make gluten-free biscuits.  I'm happy to say that I've worked out some of the major kinks to my new way of cooking and have come across some fabulous recipes.  This year I decided I might want to try and be even more dedicated to grain-free during the holidays so I can avoid the post-holiday stomach cramps.  I though it would be best if I did a dry run on some new recipes to make sure they'd make the cut.  I must admit that even the kiddos didn't have anything negative to say!







Now doesn't this look delicious?  I decided to make mashed sweet potatoes (the white ones) and didn't use a recipe.  I simply boiled them and added coconut milk, salt & pepper and a little garlic seasoning. I used rotisserie chicken from Safeway to save time.  For the gravy and "stuffing" I used some new recipes I came across.  If you're thinking of trying this, here are the ones that I used.  Let me know what you think!


~Trisha

No comments:

Post a Comment