Wednesday, October 2, 2013

A Bowl Full of Comfort

Fall weather has hit the Pacific Northwest a wee bit early this year.  It felt like October weather in September, which means chilly mornings and rain...lots of rain.  I hate to admit such a thing, but I haven't even brought out my fall decorations.  They are way in the back of the brand new over-head storage in our almost re-finished garage.  Note to self: put that action item on the hubby's "to-do" list pronto!  One thing I haven't neglected is the comfort food that I dearly love to enjoy this time of year.  Besides the pumpkin cookies and pumpkin spice americanos I've been enjoying, I've been whipping up some heart warming soups for dinners.  Last night I decided to try Chicken Pot Pie soup.  Sounds yummy, right?  It was beyond delicious and everyone was asking for more after the pot had been scraped clean.  I thought I'd share it with you since it was such a hit with the whole fam.  I had to make a few substitutions due to my daughter's gluten allergy and because we are grain free.  So here we go!



Chicken Pot Pie Soup
adapted from citronlimette
Ingredients

  • 2 Tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 2 stalks celery, diced
  • 1 cup mushrooms, diced
  • ½ teaspoon dried thyme, crushed between fingertips
  • salt and pepper
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 medium carrots, cut into coins
  • 3 medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed (use sweet potatoes for Paleo)
  • 16 oz cooked chicken breast, diced small
  • ¼ cup all-purpose flour (use arrowroot powder to make it Paleo & gluten-free)
  • 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • ¾ cup frozen peas
  • 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1 cup milk (use coconut milk instead)

Instructions
  1. In a large saucepan, heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil on medium high heat. Add onion, celery, mushrooms, thyme and a dash of salt and pepper. Cook 5 minutes, stirring often, add garlic and cook another minute. Add carrots, potatoes, the cooked chicken and the flour.
  2. Stir in the chicken broth, frozen peas and parsley.
  3. Bring to a simmer and cook 25 minutes. Add more salt and pepper if needed. Stir in the milk, bring back to a simmer and cook 5-10 minutes.



Mmm, now doesn't that look comforting?  Give it a try and let me know what you think!

Trisha

No comments:

Post a Comment