Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Garage Re-Do: The Beginning

When we moved into our 1960's home, it was pretty much in it's original state.  The original (and only) owner had replaced carpet and kitchen counters/cabinets in the 80's but not much else.  At first we thought this was great...much better not to pay for someone else's renovations that we'd end up changing down the road anyways.  So in the case of the garage (a place you might not think of cleaning out before moving in) we just hauled all our stuff in and stored it away using whatever shelving and cabinets were already there.  Now that we've lived here almost 4years (wow how time flies!), we are starting to get really impatient with the areas of our house that are not functioning well.  The garage was quickly becoming #1 offender!  Besides the few scattered wire wall shelves we hung upon moving in, there wasn't any rhyme or reason to how or where things were stored.  So, as I was asking my husband to please create a pathway so I could maneuver through the chaos that was my garage, he decided it was time for a major overhaul.

Here's my hard working hubby beginning this huge project


We began by clearing everything out and tearing every last thing off the walls (old unfinished here & there drywall included). Down to the studs & wires we go!  Even getting it to this stage was fantastic!  A project like this also gave us the much needed motivation to clean out the excess that was building up.  Thrift store piles, Craigslist piles and garbage bags were taking over...awesome!!!



Yuck!
Now that's a garbage pile!

I just cannot believe how much we removed!  We were even lucky enough (ya right!) to find some miscellaneous tools stashed inside some of the drywall left from the previous owner.  So, after tearing everything out and sweeping down the walls and floors and putting all our stuff back in this was our result.

Stunning, right?!

Ok, I know it doesn't seem like a huge change, but it is a fantastic start and it actually felt much better starting from scratch.  Now I can break out all the pictures of perfectly organized garages that I've been saving up!  The list for items needed and things to do seems endless but it will be well worth it when I can not only find exactly what I'm looking for but I can also get to it without wading through junk piles

No comments:

Post a Comment